Bylaws: Article V
SECTION 1. The officers of the Society shall include the President, President-Elect, Immediate Past President, Secretary, and Treasurer, all of whom must be Full Members in good standing at the time of their election and during the terms of their offices. They shall be elected by the general membership as prescribed by these bylaws. The President, President-Elect, Immediate Past President, Secretary, and Treasurer shall comprise the Executive Committee and shall be responsible for general supervision of the Society’s daily business affairs.
SECTION 2. The President shall be chief executive officer of the Society. Subject to the direction of the Council, he or she shall have and exercise direct charge of and general supervision over the business and affairs of the Society and shall perform all duties incident to the office of a president of a corporation and such other duties as from time to time he or she may be assigned by the Council.
SECTION 3. The President-Elect shall succeed to the office of President upon completion by the President of his or her term in office, or upon any earlier vacancy in the office of the President. In the absence of the President, the President-Elect shall preside at meetings of the Council or membership, and shall perform all the duties incident to the office of first or executive vice-president of a corporation.
SECTION 4. The Immediate-Past-President shall serve as an advisor and consultant to the President.
SECTION 5. The Secretary shall keep minutes of all meetings of the Council and of the membership of the Society, shall see that all notices are duly given in accordance with the provisions of law and these bylaws, and shall keep the membership records of the Society and be custodian of all contracts, assignments and other legal documents and records. In general, the Secretary shall perform all the duties incident to the office of Secretary of a corporation.
SECTION 6. The Treasurer shall have charge of and be responsible for all funds, securities, receipts and authorized disbursements of the Society; shall deposit or cause to be deposited, in the name of the Society, all money or other valuable effects in such banks or other depositories as shall from time to time be selected by the Council; shall render to the President and to the Council, whenever requested, an account of the financial condition of the Society; and shall in any event report annually to the Council and membership; and shall submit financial statements certified by any group of individuals chosen by the Council. In general, the Treasurer shall perform all duties incident to the office of Treasurer of a corporation.
SECTION 7. The Council may appoint such other officers to have the authority and perform the duties as prescribed by the Council from time to time. Such officer appointed by the Council may, but is not required to, be a Member of the Society. Any two or more offices may be held by the same person. An officer of the Society may also be an employee of the Society.
SECTION 8. A new President-Elect shall be elected at the annual meeting of the membership each year. At the end of his or her first year in office the President-Elect shall succeed automatically to the Presidency, and at the end of his or her second year, to the position of Immediate Past President. Thus a person elected to the position of President-Elect shall be an officer and a Councilor for three years.
SECTION 9. A new Secretary will be elected in odd numbered years by the membership at the annual meeting and shall serve for two years.
SECTION 10. A new Treasurer will be elected by the membership in even numbered years at the annual meeting and shall serve for two years.
SECTION 11. A President-Elect, Secretary, or Treasurer elected at an annual meeting shall assume office immediately at the end of the meeting at which he or she is elected, and the incumbent President-Elect and President shall be advanced to President and Immediate Past President, respectively, at the same time.
SECTION 12. Vacancies among the officers of the Society which may occur for any reason shall be filled as follows:
1. Vacancy of the Immediate Past Presidency: A temporary fourth Councilor-at-Large shall be appointed by a majority of the Council to service until the next annual meeting of the membership, at which time the position shall be filled by succession of the retiring President.
2. Vacancy of the Presidency: The President-Elect shall succeed immediately to the Presidency, and a temporary fourth Councilor-at-Large shall be elected as in Article V, Section 12.1 above to serve until the next annual meeting. At that same time the new President shall continue in the Presidency in his or her own right for one year, and a new President-Elect shall be elected.
3. Vacancy of the President-Elect: One of the members of Council shall be elected by a majority of the Council to fill this position. A President-Elect elected in this way shall succeed to the Presidency and Immediate Past Presidency as if he or she had been elected by the general membership, in order to assure continuity among the officers of the Society. The position of Councilor-at-Large, vacated by the election of one of them to the Presidency-Elect, shall be filled as in Article IV, Section 6 above.
4. Vacancy of the Secretary: One of the Councilors-at-Large shall be elected by a majority of the Council to fill this post for the remainder of the unexpired term. The vacated position of Councilor-at-Large shall then be filled as in Article IV, Section 6 above.
5. Vacancy of the Treasurer: One of the Councilors-at-Large shall be elected by a majority of the Council to fill this post for the remainder of the unexpired term. The vacated position of Councilor-at-Large shall then be filled as in Article IV, Section 6 above.
6. Vacancy of officer positions created by the Council: The Council may appoint a successor to fill any vacated position created pursuant to Article V, Section 7 above.