“Transplantation is an enormously complicated field that relies on the participation of physicians, surgeons, researchers and others. In order to advance, all who participate on the transplant team must continue the dialogue. Cooperation among transplant professionals is what has set AST apart from other societies."
-AST founding President, Dr. Ronald Guttmann
I have been a member of AST for over 15 years. As an established molecular and cellular transplant immunologist, I always encourage young faculties and trainees with interest in building a career in transplantation to join AST as the opportunities for identifying mentors, learning, collaborating, and being part of collective multidisciplinary group are exceptional. AST provides a unique collaborative environment for networking and brainstorming about basic and translational research aimed to improve the lives of transplant patients. As such, it is critical that current members both recruit and foster relationships with young students and faculty in the field.
Dr. Mas has been a member with AST since 2008 and is a Transplant Immunologist at the University of Maryland
How Do I Participate?
It’s easy – refer a colleague and receive one entry for each approved colleague! See full program details and prizes below.
We’re making it easier for you to refer new members with online referral form! You can quickly send a personal and professional email message to refer your colleagues by visiting the referral form below. Fill one out today!
Schedule & Rules
The prospective member must apply through the online AST membership application - send them the link! Don't forget to have them list your name as the recommender!
- Only one name may be entered as a recommender. If multiple names are included, only one name will count for prize eligibility.
The referrer's AST membership dues for 2023 must be paid in full to be eligible for any rewards or prizes.
Each referral counts towards the referrer's total once the nominee is approved for membership.
Those who referred new members to AST will be recognized at:
The annual AST Town Hall during the 2023 ATC in San Diego, CA.
In an issue of the AST eNews; and
On the AST website.
Nominees for membership can be former members who left the Society prior to or during 2020.
All referrers will have the chance to win AST Swag, a One Year Membership, or the grand prize- an Apple iPad. The grand prize winner will be announced in June 2023 at ATC.
- Click here for a letter template if you prefer to mail or hand deliver a letter.
The best tip for recruiting new members is to share what AST means to you! Dr. Nicolae Leca told us why he recommends AST membership to his colleagues: “AST has been an invaluable forum to collaborate, explore, learn and advance the field of transplantation in the company of transplant professionals I highly regard."
- Tell colleagues why you joined AST.
- Provide concrete examples. What benefits can you not live without?
- Focus on their needs and how AST can meet them -- for example:
- Is your colleague a trainee? AST's New Comprehensive Trainee Curriculum (CTC) is available at a discount to members.
- Is your colleague a researcher? AST offers several prestigious research grants.
- Is your colleague an ILDA? Check out the nine-part webinar series free for members.
- Many other opportunities available - meeting registration discounts, access to online specialized Communities of Practice, and so much more!
- Follow up. Check to see if your colleague joined AST, has further questions, or if assistance is required with the application process. Refer to the National Office as needed for additional support!
- Give thanks. Send them a thank you for considering AST membership and their support in the transplant community.
See our complete list of participants in the Member-Get-A-Member program to congratulate our committed members!