AST FAST Program
Recognizing members who have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to the field of transplantation as well as outstanding service to the American Society of Transplantation
The Fellow of the American Society of Transplantation (FAST) designation recognizes those members who have demonstrated both an exceptional commitment to the field of transplantation, as well as outstanding service to the American Society of Transplantation (AST). The designation does not alter a member's rights within the Society, nor does it represent any type of clinical certification. The designation is honorary and is open to all members of the AST in good standing.
Application Opens: November 2017
$195 non-refundable one time fee
The applicant must document the following on their application:
AST Participation & Service
- AST Membership Criteria
- Membership for a minimum of 5 years
- 2018 membership dues paid in full (in good standing)
- Regular AST Meeting Attendance, including:
- American Transplant Congress (ATC)
- World Transplant Congress (WTC)
- AST Winter Symposium
- Cutting Edge of Transplantation (CEoT)
- Fellows Symposium on Transplantation
- AST Service, including any of the following:
- AST Board of Directors
- A leadership position on:
- AST advisory council
- Community of Practice (COP)
- Task force or workgroup within a COP (requires substantiation by letter from the chair)
- In AST publishing:
- Deputy editor
- Editorial board member
- Frequent reviewer for any AST publications
- Education Director for any of the Society's activities
- Reviewer for ATC or WTC
Commitment to the Field of Transplantation
The applicant must fulfill 3 of 5
- Documentation of board certification (if a physician or surgeon in clinical practice), or documentation of achieving a terminal academic degree or other top-level certification/qualification appropriate for the applicant’s area of expertise
- Documentation of a history of grant support funding from Federal entities, societies, industry, or foundations
- Documentation of body of high-quality scholarly work published in peer-reviewed journals related to the field of transplantation
- Documentation of public service, such as service to the community related to transplantation or; service on the UNOS Board or committees, NKF Board or committees, or another patient advocacy organization in the field of transplantation
- Submission of one additional letter (see below) from a person in a supervisory role documenting a significant contribution and commitment to instruction/teaching on the local, state, or national level in transplantation, which may include teaching in a fellowship program or lecturing in the field of transplantation to a professional or lay audience.
- Submission of two letters of recommendation addressing the applicant's commitment to the AST and leadership in the field of transplantation.
- One letter from AST leadership (Board member, COP/Committee Chair or Co-Chair) or from a previously elected Fellow that clearly documents why the applicant is worthy of the designation
- One letter of support from any AST member in good standing.
- Submission of curriculum vitae
- Payment of a one-time $195 non-refundable application fee
If you are not already logged in, clicking the link will prompt you to login and return you to this page to access the application.
Please complete your application in either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox internet browsers. Internet Explorer can cause issues with submission.
Applications will be screened by AST staff for completion. The FAST Selection Committee will make a recommendation for action, for approval by the AST Board of Directors. The FAST Selection Committee reserves the right to defer induction for one year if an unusually large number of qualified applicants are supported in a given year. Applicants can expect to receive an update on their application on or around February 15, 2018.
Unsuccessful applicants may submit additional supporting material for re-review during the next application cycle without paying an additional fee. Please note, updated letters of recommendation must be acquired for consideration.
- Induction during the American Transplant Congress (ATC)
- Use of the FAST designation
- FAST certificate
- FAST lapel pin
- AST fleece jacket
- Listing on the AST website
- Announcement in the AST eNews