Transplant Pharmacy Community of Practice (TxPharm COP)
2018-2019 Executive Committee
Staff Liaison: Anne Kreiss (akreiss@myAST.org)
Chair: Angela Maldonado (2019)
Co-Chair: David Taber (2019)
Past Chair and Board Liaison: Lisa Potter (2019)
Maya Campara (2019)
Jennifer Iuppa Melaragno (2019)
Patricia West-Thielke (2020)
Nicole Alvey (2020)
Trainee: Kayla Joyal (2019)
Engage the community through work on meaningful initiatives that are addressed by different workgroups (outside of the executive committee).
- Strengthen workgroup structure with 1-2 leads, 10-15 members with goal of recruitment of ~5 new members per group (Education; Online Community, Organ Donation; Mentoring/Trainee; Public Policy; Newsletter; Awards) - 6/2018 call for members
- Continue joint AST/ACCP/ISHLT/ASHP workgroup comprised of the pharmacy leadership of each respective society to streamline joint transplant pharmacy ventures with biannual joint newsletter (12/2018)
- Launch AST educational initiatives with corporate partners/sponsorship (Walgreens, Pfizer, Veloxis)
- 2019 Organ Donation Advocacy Challenge with Walgreens and Veloxis support
Submit at least one idea for an educational opportunity (either through an ATC program proposal or another mechanism).
- Submit programming for ATC 2019, CEoT 2019, and Fellows Symposium 2019 per the AST’s call for program proposals (Two transplant pharmacists are slated to present at the 2018 Fellows Symposium (Rogers/Horwedel)
- Submit programming for transplant related symposia at the 2018 and 2019 ASHP Midyear Clinical Meetings
- Host quarterly clinical discussion debates for COP members and extend invitation to entire AST membership as applicable
- Host quarterly journal clubs for COP members
- Host/Sponsor an AST Online Journal Club
- T3: Topic on Pharmacogenomics submitted with expected presentation date of 4/18/19, Cyrine Haider-moderator, Pamala Jacobsen, presenter
- AST Consensus Conference Proposal: Challenges and Solution to Appropriate and Timely Medication Access in Transplantation (submitted 3/12/18)
Create content that serves the community and the AST at large, such as guidelines, white papers, journal clubs, etc.
- Maintain the content on the AST website pertaining to the issue of off-label drug coverage denials from Medicare D plans
- Assemble and publish a case series of actual patients who have had immunosuppressive claims denied under Part D for off-label and off-compendia reasons
- Survey kidney transplant programs regarding medication procurement practices upon discharge post-transplant. Results will be published in an effort to declare current standard of care in the face of concern regarding whether Medicare will no longer allow delivery of discharge medications to inpatient settings
- Address the issue of off-label drug coverage denials from Medicare D plans by continuing to work with CMS-approved drug compendia to consider revisions to individual drug entries
- Continue advocacy in support of proposed amended UNOS bylaws regarding the role and responsibilities of transplant pharmacists
- Assist the Pharmacy Quality Alliance (PQA) with their effort to develop immunosuppressant adherence metrics that can be used to grade Medicare D plans
- Complete joint work with ASHP/ACCP/ISHLT on formal ASHP Statement, Guidance Document, and Table of Recommendations for Transplant Pharmacy Services
- Collaborate with the AST Education Committee to update patient education brochure materials
- Support ACCP initiatives on “Transplant Pharmacists as Clinical and Translational Scientists” project
- Support the Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties in the development of the Transplant Pharmacy Board Certification Exam
- The AST Transplant Pharmacy Adherence Consortium was developed after the AST/Walgreens Adherence Symposium and consists of four workgroups led by Demetra Tsapepas, Tiffany Kaiser, Samir Patel, and Patty Thielke and Chaired by Dave Taber. Ongoing research updates are reported quarterly
- Collaboration with the PSCOP on the Drug Testing Consortium. Planned collaboration with the TxAQM COP on a Consensus Conference on Medication Access once approved by the Board
Ensure COP mission statement and strategic plan are aligned to AST strategic vision and demonstrate progress on the strategic plan in subsequent years.
- 2017-2019 Strategic Plan aligned with the Mission and Vision of the AST in the following areas: Governance; Education; Research; Advocacy; Development; Workforce; Public Policy
- Develop working relationships and collaboration with other COPs through COP liaisons focused on a) medication adherence, b) transitions from pediatrics to adulthood, c) infectious disease; d) education, e) QAPI
Assess member educational needs with input from the education committee.
- Conduct an educational needs assessment at the 2018 TxPharm COP Business Meeting and in collaboration with the AST Education Committee.
Maintain repository of resources for community membership on the COP Hub.
- Member contact information
- Calendar of events
- Goals and initiatives
- Minutes from EC meetings
- Directory of TxPharm training programs
- Reference collection
- Transplant website resources
- Discussion board archives
- Shared protocols
Nominate exceptional members for the AST Board and other leadership positions and awards within AST.
- AST Board of Directors
- AST Committees
- AST Awards
- AST Fellow
Provide opportunities for the membership to network/collaborate throughout the year (outside of ATC).
- Organize mentoring/social events for trainees at 2018 ASHP Midyear, 2018 UHC, 2018 WSC, 2018 MPRC, and ATC
Encourage members to suggest initiatives and share ideas through the online communities.
- Discussion forum on COP Hub
- Monthly blog from the AST Chair regarding current events in transplant pharmacy
Actively sustain COP-to-AST membership conversion and growth of the COP and AST.
- Welcome/orientation email from the chair/co-chair highlighting how members can get involved in COP initiatives/workgroups
- Three Transplant Pharmacy COP New Practitioner Travel Grants ($1,000 each) for ATC 2018
- Encourage donations during AST giving campaigns with directed donations to the causes of the member’s choice (AST/TIRN/COP, etc.)
- Active membership drives through Chair monthly blogs (refer a friend, etc.)
- Quarterly member spotlight
Provide regular updates to the COP membership (minimum of once per quarter) and to the Board.
- Quarterly newsletters (2 AST COP specific, 2 joint AST/ACCP/ASHP/ISHLT) to update all transplant pharmacist communities together
- Dedicated EC meeting time for two-way reporting (board liaison to EC, EC to board liaison)
- Minutes from EC meetings to the COP Hub for member review