Transplant Pharmacy Community of Practice (TxPharm COP)
2022-2023 Executive Committee
Staff Liaison: Anne Kreiss (akreiss@myAST.org)
Chair: Barrett Crowther (2023)
Co-Chair: Mary Chandran (2023)
Past Chair: David Taber (2023)
Board Liaison: Marie Chisholm-Burns (2023)
Adam Diamond (2024)
Kayla Joyal (2024)
Emily Sartain (2024)
Matt Harris (2023)
Tiffany Kaiser (2023)
Jennifer McDermott (2023)
Early Career: Nicole Wilson (2023)
Engage the community through work on meaningful initiatives that are addressed by different workgroups (outside of the executive committee).
- Continue to refine our communication strategies with COP members, using our COP Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook accounts.
- Collaborate with other organizations, including ACCP and ASHP, to create content that serves transplant pharmacy and transplantation as a whole. This may include guidelines, white papers, compendium, and educational programs.
- Support Most Valuable Pharmacist (MVP) award to recognize outstanding volunteer efforts of our COP members.
Submit at least one idea for an educational opportunity (either through an ATC program proposal or another mechanism).
- Submit programming for ATC 2023.
- Submit programming for transplant-related symposia at the 2023 ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting.
- Sponsor AST Online Journal Club.
- Submit at least two proposals for 2022-2023 Timely Topics in Transplantation (T3) webinar series.
- Continue to work with ACCP to co-sponsor transplant pharmacy-related webinars.
Create content that serves the community and the AST at large, such as guidelines, white papers, journal clubs, etc.
- Update content on the AST website as needed, including resources regarding medication access accessible to all AST membership, as website capabilities permits.
- Work with AST leadership to improve the user experience and accessibility of resources on the AST website.
- Update medication denials resource guidance database within the Hub and explore methods to improve the accessibility of this resource.
- Continue to work with UNOS to update Bylaws relevant to transplant pharmacy practice.
- Collaborate with the AST Education Committee to update patient education brochures and videos.
- Support the Board of Pharmacy Specialties in the offering of the Transplant Pharmacy Board Certification Exam (BCTXP).
- Continue efforts for conducting research and developing programs to support the Transplant Pharmacist Adherence Consortium (TPAC).
- Support revisions to CMS Interpretive Guidelines as necessary.
- Disseminate drug class consensus recommendations that will be formally supported by AST Board and ACCP.
- Conduct AST Controversies Conference.
- Develop at least one DEI-focused offering for COP membership (such as as education offering regarding implicit bias).
- Support the development of the 10-year follow-up manuscript regarding the evolution of the role of the transplant pharmacist.
Ensure the COP mission statement and strategic plan are aligned to the AST strategic vision and demonstrate progress on the strategic plan in subsequent years.
- Strategic Plan aligned with the Mission and Vision of the AST in the following areas: Governance; Education; Research; Advocacy; Development; Workforce; Public Policy; Organ Donation.
- Continue to develop and foster relationships and collaboration with other COPs through COP liaisons and co-sponsored programs and webinars.
- Expand EC to add one additional position to serve as a DEI liaison for IDEAL Committee.
Assess member educational needs with input from the education committee.
- Conduct annual educational needs assessment in collaboration with the AST Education Committee.
- Send out speaker reqeust survey following the educational needs assessment.
Maintain a repository of resources for community members on the COP Hub (such as COP online library).
- Member contact information
- Calendar of events
- Goals and initiatives
- Monthly updates from the Chair
- Directory of TxPharm training programs
- Reference collection
- Transplant website resources
- Discussion board archives
- Member spotlights
Nominate exceptional members for nomination to the:
- AST Board of Directors
- AST Committees
- AST Awards
- AST Fellow
- TxPharm COP Awards, including member spotlight awards and research awards
Provide opportunities for the membership to network/collaborate throughout the year (outside of ATC).
- Organize mentoring/social events for trainees at 2022 ASHP Midyear and AST 2022 Fellows Symposium.
Encourage members to suggest initiatives and share ideas through online communities.
- Discussion forum on COP Hub.
- Monthly update from Chair sent out on Hub and Facebook page.
- Active engagement through Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Actively sustain COP-to-AST membership conversion and growth of the COP and AST.
- Welcome/orientation email from the Chair/Co-Chair highlighting how members can get involved in COP initiatives/workgroups.
- Offer 3-4 Transplant Pharmacy COP New Practitioner Research Grants for ATC 2023 (to assist with ATC registration/expenses or membership dues).
- Offer one Translant Pharmacy COP DEI Research Grant for ATC 2023 ( (to assist with ATC registration/expenses or membership dues).
- Encourage donations during AST giving campaigns with directed donations to the causes of the member’s choice (AST/TIRN/COP, etc.), includin, but not limited to the Donation Derby and the AST Fitness Challenge.
Provide regular updates to the COP membership (minimum of once per quarter and to the Board)
- Provide updates of COP activities at least monthly through the Hubor social media platforms.
- Increase use of Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.