Transplant Pharmacy Community of Practice (TxPharm COP)
2021-2022 Executive Committee
Staff Liaison: Anne Kreiss (akreiss@myAST.org)
Chair: Barrett Crowther (2023)
Co-Chair: Amanda Szczepanik (2023)
Past Chair: David Taber (2023)
Board Liaison: Marie Chisholm-Burns (2022)
Matt Harris (2023)
Jennifer McDermott (2023)
Mary Chandran (2022)
Tiffany Kaiser (2022)
Elisabeth Kincaide (2022)
Early Career: Emily Sartain (2022)
Engage the community through work on meaningful initiatives that are addressed by different workgroups (outside of the executive committee).
- Continue to refine our communication strategies with COP members, using Twitter, Facebook, and exploring Instagram as well
- After EC calls, send out monthly updates to COP members through the Hub and Facebook.
- Implement text messaging for urgent and important notifications to members that opted in
Submit at least one idea for an educational opportunity (either through an ATC program proposal or another mechanism).
- Submit programming for ATC 2022; potentially resubmitting proposals that were canceled for ATC 2021 when it was converted to a virtual meeting
- Submit programming for transplant-related symposia at the 2021 ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Sponsor AST Online Journal Club
- Continue to work with ACCP to co-sponsor transplant pharmacy-related webinars
Create content that serves the community and the AST at large, such as guidelines, white papers, journal clubs, etc.
- Update content on the AST website as needed, including medication access document for COVID-19, which will convert to a non-COVID-19 document at the appropriate time
- Create insurance appeals database to be uploaded to Hub for member access
- Continue advocacy in support of proposed amended UNOS bylaws regarding the role and responsibilities of transplant pharmacists
- Collaborate with the AST Education Committee to update patient education brochure materials; Lyndsey Bowman is the COP's representative on this group
- Facilitate the rollout of the Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties in the development of the Transplant Pharmacy Board Certification Exam; Barrett Crowther is the COP's representative on this group
- Continue efforts for conducting research and developing programs to support the Transplant Pharmacist Adherence Consortium (TPAC)
- Continue collaboration with the PESCOP on the Drug Testing Consortium
- Develop new collaboration with the KPCOP on immunosuppression weaning practices after graft failure
- Support revisions to CMS Interpretive Guidelines regarding who can serve as the pharmacology expert on the transplant team
- Develop and disseminate drug class consensus recommendations that will be formally supported by AST Board and ACCP
Ensure the COP mission statement and strategic plan are aligned to the AST strategic vision and demonstrate progress on the strategic plan in subsequent years.
- 2017-2019 Strategic Plan aligned with the Mission and Vision of the AST in the following areas: Governance; Education; Research; Advocacy; Development; Workforce; Public Policy
- Continue to develop and foster relationships and collaboration with other COPs through COP liaisons focused on a) medication adherence, b) transitions from pediatrics to adulthood, c) infectious disease, d) education, e) QAPI, f) immunosuppression management
Assess member educational needs with input from the education committee.
- Conduct an educational needs assessment at the 2021 TxPharm COP Annual Meeting and Reception and in collaboration with the AST Education Committee
Maintain a repository of resources for community members on the COP Hub.
- Member contact information
- Calendar of events
- Goals and initiatives
- Monthly updates from the Chair
- Directory of TxPharm training programs
- Reference collection
- Transplant website resources
- Discussion board archives
- Shared protocols
- Member spotlights
Nominated exceptional members for nomination to the:
- AST Board of Directors
- AST Committees
- AST Awards
- AST Fellow
Provide opportunities for the membership to network/collaborate throughout the year (outside of ATC).
- Organize mentoring/social events for trainees at 2021 ASHP Midyear, 2021 UHC, and 2022 ATC
Encourage members to suggest initiatives and share ideas through online communities.
- Discussion forum on COP Hub
- Monthly update from Chair sent out on Hub and Facebook page
Actively sustain COP-to-AST membership conversion and growth of the COP and AST.
- Welcome/orientation email from the Chair/Co-Chair highlighting how members can get involved in COP initiatives/workgroups
- Three Transplant Pharmacy COP New Practitioner Travel Grants ($1,000 each) for ATC 2022
- Encourage donations during AST giving campaigns with directed donations to the causes of the member’s choice (AST/TIRN/COP, etc.)
Provide regular updates to the COP membership (minimum of once per quarter) and to the Board.
- Monthly update from Chair
- Increased use of Twitter and Facebook by newly formed Communications Workgroup