Survey Dissemination Policy
Purpose and Scope
The Society often receives requests to disseminate surveys to AST members. This document is meant to serve as a guide to AST Committees, Communities of Practice, advisory councils, working groups, or similar (hereafter referred to as “Committee(s)”) who seek to disseminate a survey to the membership. This policy is meant to facilitate fair and objective handling of requests.
AST Education policies encourage the development and use of its educational content by AST members, as well as other audiences, including non-member transplant professionals, community-based healthcare professionals, and patients and their families, while protecting the AST name. It is the responsibility of the AST Board of Directors, Education Committee, and Community of Practice Executive Committees to ensure AST-associated educational materials are developed and approved as a work product of the Society.
- Education Committee: The Education Committee oversees all educational activities on behalf of the AST Board. In a three-way partnership with the Board and the COPs, they will build the education strategic plan for the society.
- Committee: An AST Committee is a group of AST members appointed by the President with a common objective.
- Community of Practice: A Community of Practice is a group of self-selected AST members with a common interest, which has been formalized by the AST Board of Directors.
Surveys will be shared with members via the weekly e-news and/or a link on the AST website that takes the member to the survey website. Surveys will not be circulated to the full membership via email.
Results of a survey must not be recognized as a response on behalf of the Society on any specific topic.
Requests to Survey the Full AST Membership
- Any proposed survey of the full membership, including those surveys developed by Committees on behalf of the AST, will require the following before dissemination:
- Review and written recommendation from at least two Committees (may include the Committee who developed the survey) who support the need for surveying the full membership.
- Review and approval by the Education Committee.
- External requests to survey the AST membership will be considered only with approval from the Education Committee. External surveys must be in line with and advance the strategic goals of the Society. If approved, review and sponsorship will be required as outlined above.
- Timing of survey release is at the discretion of the Education Committee to prevent or reduce the release of multiple member surveys at any given time.
Requests to Survey Individual Committees
- Any proposed survey of a Committee must first be reviewed and approved by the Committee’s executive leadership as an appropriate use of Committee member time and resources.
- The AST staff may be consulted regarding potential conflicts in timing of release with other member requests before survey release.
Approved by the AST Board of Directors: February 2016
Revised: September 2020