VCA for the Transplant Community
The VCA for the Transplant Community - The Need and the Achieved (Debunking the Myths) webinar series is designed to broaden the interdisciplinary interaction between those involved in VCA and those involved in non VCA transplantation. The objective of this series is to share with the wider transplant community, through the AST membership and beyond, the current unmet needs that VCA aims to address.
On December 1, 2020, the AST VCA Advisory Council (VCA AC) hosted an AST/AJT Journal Club discussing the AJT article: “Vascularized composite allotransplantation in the United States: A retrospective analysis of the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network data after 5 years of the Final Rule” (doi.org/10.1111/ajt.16086). From the discussion, it was evident that there is a need to raise awareness in the transplant community about what VCA is, what unmet patient needs it addresses, and what it can deliver as well as the challenges and risks. The VCA AC used the feedback from this session to develop a 4-part webinar series to address the three most commonly performed VCAs to date (Face, Upper Extremity, and Uterus) as well as one providing the international perspective for these transplants. In August 2023, the VCA AC has expanded the series to include new videos on "head and neck" VCA.
Webinar #1: "Uterus Transplantation"
- Dr. Elizabeth Stewart • Mayo Clinic Alix College of Medicine
- Dr. Liza Johannesson • Baylor University Medical Center
- Dr. Paige Porrett • University of Alabama at Birmingham
Recorded live on Tuesday, September 14th, 2021
Webinar #2: "Upper Extremity Transplantation"
- Dr. Scott Levin • Penn Medicine
- Ms. Diane Atkins • Baylor College of Medicine
- Dr. Jaimie Shores • John Hopkins University School of Medicine
Recorded live on Friday, January 7th, 2022
Webinar #3: "Face Transplantation"
- Dr. Samir Mardini • Mayo Clinic in Rochester
- Dr. Bohdan Pomahac • Yale School of Medicine
- Dr. Rolf Barth • University of Chicago Medicine & Biological Sciences
Recorded live on Tuesday, June 21st, 2022,
with additional content provided in Fall 2022
Webinar #4: "The International Perspective"
- Dr. Patrik Lassus • Helsinki University Hospital (Finland)
- Dr. Subramania Iyer • Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences (India)
- Dr. Ibrahim Natalwala • Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust (United Kingdom)
- Dr. Linda Cendales • Duke University Medical Center (United States)
Recorded live on Tuesday, July 12th, 2022
Webinar #5: "Laryngeal Transplantation"
- Dr. David Lott, MD • Mayo Clinic
- Dr. Eric Genden, MD • Mount Sinai
Recorded live on Monday, August 8th, 2023
Webinar #6: "Parathyroid Transplantation"
- Dr. Karen Devon • Women's College Hospital, Toronto
- Dr. Afshan Zahedi • Women's College Hospital, Toronto
- Dr. Kathryn Tinckam • University Health Network, Toronto
- Dr. Randall Owen • Mount Sinai, New York
Recorded live on Monday, October 2nd, 2023
Educational Content Disclaimer: The content, information, opinions, and viewpoints contained in educational materials housed on and linked from the AST web site are those of the authors or contributors of such materials. While the AST and its committees take great care to screen the credentials of the contributors and make every attempt to review the contents, AST MAKES NO WARRANTY, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, as to the completeness or accuracy of the content contained in the educational materials or on this website. The reader of these materials uses these materials at his or her own risk, and AST shall not be responsible for any errors, omissions, or inaccuracies in these materials, whether arising through negligence, oversight, or otherwise. Reliance on any information appearing on this site is strictly at your own risk. Read the full disclaimer.