Transplantation was founded on the spirit of innovation and experimentation. AST created the Innovation Award to honor an individual or team whose big ideas and outside the box thinking has made a significant impact on transplantation. The award is designed to showcase successes in transplant innovation and to drive, recognize, and reward novel ideas.
This award is open to the entire transplant community. The types of innovation that would be eligible for this award include but are not limited to:
- Breakthroughs in research
- Novel programs implemented by
- Insurance companies
- Patient groups
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Professional organizations
- The innovation does not need to occur within the year of nomination.
- Individuals, groups, and companies may apply.
- AST membership is not a requirement for this award.
To apply for an Innovation Award, you must complete the online application which includes:
- Organization/Company/Individual being nominated
- Program/Project title
- Dates of Program/Project
- Brief description of Program/Project (400 words or less)
- Completed Program/Project Details form uploaded into the application
- Description of the significance of the Program/Project to the field of transplantation
- Description of why the Program/Project should receive the Innovation Award
Nominations closed on November 17, 2017. Notifications of status will be sent prior to the end of the year.
The AST Board of Directors selects the annual Innovation Award recipient. Only one award will be presented per year when merited.
The following criteria may be used for evaluation of the applicants, where it applies:
- Novelty – the degree to which the program or initiative demonstrates a leap in creativity
- Effectiveness – the degree to which the program or initiative has achieved tangible results
- Efficiency – the degree to which the program or initiative contributes to more efficient processes
- Significance – the degree to which the program or initiative successfully addresses an important problem in transplantation
Not all criteria will apply to all projects.
Honoring Award Recipients
The award recipient will be honored at the following Cutting Edge of Transplantation (CEOT) meeting, and will have an opportunity to present their innovation during a fifteen-minute session. During the session, they will be awarded a plaque and a check in the amount of $5,000. AST will pay for one representative’s flight and hotel in addition to the $5,000 award. Information will also be posted to the AST website about the award-winning innovation and a press release will be issued.