AST Support for Pending Legislation
Archived Updates on AST Support for Pending Legislation
- Support and recommendations for 21st Century Cures
- H.R. 6, 21st Century CURES & Section 3041 Provision Protecting Physician Educational Materials
- Next Generation Researchers Act - introduced by Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-WI). This legislation seeks to support our nation’s next generation of young researchers and reverse the decline in NIH research funding.
- Living Organ Donor Protection Act of 2014 - introduced by Congressmen Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) and Michael Burgess, MD (R-TX). The legislation seeks to promote and protect living organ donors from discrimination
- House Energy and Commerce Chairman's 21st Century Cures Initiative - aims to accelerate medical research to develop new cures and treatments for patients.
- Capitol Hill Legislation Establishing Beneficiary Equity in the Hospital Readmission Program - the AST has been working closely with Congressman Jim Renacci's (R-OH) office to garner support for this legislation that seeks to exempt organ transplantation, ESRD, and other targeted conditions from classification as an admission for purposes and penalties under the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Immuno Drugs remain protected.
- AST supports docket No. FDA-2013-D-1358 - Draft guidance for industry: recommendations for premarket notification (510(k)) submissions for nucleic acid-based human leukocyte antigen (HLA) test kits used for transfusion and transplantation.
- AST urged for strongest possible FY 2014 302(b) allocation for the Labor, Health and Human Services, Education and Related Agencies (Labor-HHS) Appropriations Subcommittee within the discretionary cap established by the recently Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013.
- Proposed Rule OAR 836-053-0008, request for comments on provisions in health reform proposed rule regarding 24-month transplant waiting period.
- AST President, Dr. Daniel Salomon, attended White House Oval Office Signing of HOPE Act.
- Congress passed HIV Organ Policy Equity Act (HOPE Act) - legislation that will lead to increases in life-saving donor organs and vital research in the area of HIV organ donatin and transplantation