'Tis The Season
It has been an unprecedented and challenging year in many ways, but the AST is very grateful for its members, volunteers, and partners' ongoing support. Over the summer, I published a blog post outlining the goals for my year as President. Two of those critical goals for this year include adding value to your AST membership and maintaining financial stability.
Despite the uncertainties we were faced with earlier this year, we have accomplished a great deal as a society. Here are a few highlights:
- Our infectious disease experts created (and are regularly updating) the COVID-19 resource page, which includes information for transplant professionals and patients. The AST also worked on three multi-society COVID-19: Organ Donation and Transplant Town Halls – with a fourth event scheduled for December 3.
- We held our first virtual Fellows Symposium – with nearly 600 attendees.
- The Immuno Bill was introduced in the House in late 2019 and in the Senate in early 2020. Our grassroots efforts helped get this legislation advanced.
- The AST awarded $625,000 in research grants.
- We formed the much-needed Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (to Life) [IDEAL] Task Force
Before you exit this blog, I want to make a quick point. It is a common misconception that AST member dues cover most of the Society’s expenses. The AST funds most of its activities through other sources, such as meetings and partnerships. Only about 25% of the AST’s income is earned from member dues. A large (but essential) expense is funding transplant research grants. Fortunately, with your help, we have an excellent opportunity to increase this funding substantially.
Research Donations Doubled Until December 8
CareDx has generously offered to match all donations up to $50,000 that are designated to research until December 8. Our goal is to fund a 2021 research grant with these funds, but we truly cannot do it without you. Please consider supporting this campaign by donating today.
The Donation Derby is a great way for COP members to support the initiatives and projects of their COPs. This year, 75% of the funds donated during the Donation Derby will go to your COP(s). COPs with a 10% or higher member participation rate will receive 90% of the funds they raise. The remaining funds will be allocated to the AST program of your choice. If you support the AST Research Fund through December 8, it will benefit both your COP and transplant research.
With these campaigns, there has never been a better time to support the AST.
Add new comment