Recorded live on Thursday, February 24, 2022 from 2:00 PM ET to 3:00 PM ET • Hosted jointly by AST's Living Donor Community of Practice (LDCOP) and Psychosocial and Ethics Community of Practice (PSECOP)
"Transplant social worker and donor financial assistance to increase living donor kidney transplants among African Americans: The TALKS Study, a randomized comparative effectiveness trial" (Randomized Controlled Trial > Am J Transplant. 2021 Jun;21(6):2175-2187. doi: 10.1111/ajt.16403. Epub 2021 Jan 4.)
In this article:
Lack of donors hinders living donor kidney transplantation (LDKT) for African Americans. [The authors] studied the effectiveness of a transplant social worker intervention (TALK SWI) alone or paired with living donor financial assistance to activate African Americans’ potential living kidney donors... [The authors found that after] 12 months, few participants had a new donor activation event. There were no group differences in donor activation events. Alternative interventions to increase LDKT for African Americans on the waiting list may be needed.
- L. Ebony Boulware, MD, MPH, FACP • Duke Clinical and Translational Science Institute, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC
- Brian Lee, MD • Dell Seton Medical Center, UT Health Austin, Austin, TX
- Reem Daloul, MD • Wexner Medical Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Alesha Henderson, PhD • United Network For Organ Sharing (UNOS), Richmond, VA
- For more information on TALK Social Worker Intervention, please see "The Talking About Live Kidney Donation (TALK) Social Worker Intervention: Putting it into Practice" for more information.
- If you are interested in learning more about the TALKS materials discussed in the session, please email email@example.com for next steps to connect with Dr. Boulware.
- See also "Effectiveness of Educational and Social Worker Interventions to Activate Patients’ Discussion and Pursuit of Preemptive Living Donor Kidney Transplantation: A Randomized Controlled Trial (Am J Kidney Dis. 2013 Mar; 61(3): 476–486. Published online 2012 Oct 22. doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2012.08.039)