Spring UNOS Region 9 Meeting
March 20, 2018 from 09:00am to 04:30pm EDT
Representatives from several New York transplant programs, donor hospitals and organ procurement organizations have been organizing a “New York Organ Donation and Transplantation Breakthrough Collaborative”…. a series of four meetings that will use tactics from the successful HRSA initiative to address the organ donation crisis in New York. The overarching goal is to actively engage representatives from the New York OPOs, hospitals and other key stakeholders to work together to improve organ donation practices and rates. On March 20, 2018, a kick off meeting will be held. Healthcare professionals from any area that may be involved with or interested in organ donation are encouraged to attend. For example: nurses, physicians and social workers who work in intensive care units or emergency departments, palliative care providers, transplant physicians, surgeons, nurses, and administrators, hospital administration, organ procurement coordinators and leaders.
The day will include presentations and interactive sessions including:
- National leaders share lessons learned from the original HRSA Collaborative and important elements that made that effort successful.
- Current data about New York donor registration rates, donation conversion rates, and other key metrics, as well as legislative updates and activities.
- Best practices to promote a positive culture around organ donation, and effective hospital donation practices that have been implemented locally.
- Innovative models that have recently started in New York and opportunities to expand them.
- Facilitation of workgroups for attendees to collaborate and brainstorm immediate changes that can be implemented and tested at individual hospitals.